Sunday, March 15, 2009

Creating Opportunities

My dad is a preacher.

When I say that, I mean that he likes to lecture. I believe he has the passion for teaching. But his career wasn't set on that. So, he turned his preaches on his daughters.

I remember how I love eating dinners because it would be the time when my dad and I can have intellectual conversations. He would basically narrate to me (and everybody else) stories of his childhood days and the lessons he learned. He would incorporate situations from the past to occurrences in the present so that he could reach a point.

I also remember giving advices to my friends that came from my dad's speeches. I would only realize that my dad was the one who said it after actually saying it. This worked out for me since I believe the wisdom my dad is passing on to me is priceless. So, basically I grew up emulating my dad. I usually consult him when I have to make any kind of decision.

Time passed by when I learned that my dad is no Superman. And somehow, I despised him for not being the Superman I've known him when I was little. There were times when I don't want to listen to his speeches. I no longer wanted to engage him in any conversation because in the end, I feel that I would only try my best to counter everything that he is saying.

Recently, I've been trying to prove that I am an independent person. I have graduated college and am now working. But somehow, my heart is telling me that this is not right. This is not what I want for myself.

After a long time, my dad and I talk about my life. He assured me that whatever decision I made, he will support me. I am now realizing what it means when he said, "when you're a child, you're parents will be walking in front of you. when you grow up, they will be walking by your side. When you're on your own, they will be walking behind you". He said that to me when I was in Grade 6, and now I'm realizing this is true.

Finally my dad said, "You should not be waiting for opportunities. You should be looking for them. And when you've finally had it made, you should create them." This was the ending of our recent discussion.

My dad is a preacher. Everything I know came from him. Even though I, sometimes, despise him; when he's right, he's right.

No comments: